Skip to content
Sober Living Houses in Malibu
Once you complete your detox, the tricky phase of staying sober begins. Statistics show that about 40 to 60 percent of recovering addicts falter during this stage and relapse. Without proper care, you are likely to be among this group that goes back to using drugs.
Sober living homes or halfway houses are an excellent place for recovering addicts to sustain their sobriety. Many people that leave inpatient treatment centers struggle to transition into a life free from drugs without rules. Halfway houses provide the environment a recovering addict needs to transition to society. Recovering addicts that start rehab today in sober living homes have a high probability of staying sober.
What Differentiates Sober Living Homes from Inpatient Rehab Facilities
There are a few differences between sober living homes and inpatient rehab centers.
- Period of stay – you can stay in halfway houses for as long as you need rehab. There are no restrictions on the duration of your stay. In case the agreed period comes to an end, and you still feel that you need rehabilitation, you can extend your stay. Residential facilities offer programs for specific periods, such as 30 or 90 days.
- Care – you do not have full time caregivers in halfway houses. However, addiction consultants and specialists may visit the home frequently for checkups or counseling sessions. For a residential facility, the doctors or caregivers are available full time to assist you in your recovery.
- Freedom of movement – you have the freedom to move in and out of the halfway house to a large extent. This liberty enables you to integrate into a sober life in society slowly. Similarly, your friends and family have more leeway in terms of visitation. However, the facility may impose some restrictions on these movements, such as curfews and designated visiting hours. Residential facilities, on the other hand, prohibit your movement out of a rehab clinic, and they rarely allow visitors into the facility.
- Routine – you follow fewer routines in halfway houses than in residential centers. Sober living homes may have a few mandatory programs, such as therapy with an addiction treatment consultant. However, you may have to occasionally perform some chores and be in bed by a given time. This routine is for helping you be responsible as you transition to society. Residential centers have daily routines.
What Defines a Sober Living Home?
The concept of sober living homes originated in California. It involves recovering addicts staying in a drug-free environment as they transition to society after detox. Halfway houses allow them to follow fewer rules as they integrate into the new life of sobriety. Their programs are often different, with only willing participants taking part. Consequently, they usually do not require addiction rehab licenses that other addiction facilities need to operate.
Almost all halfway houses have these characteristics:
- They do not allow drugs in their vicinity
- They provide no formal treatment
- They encourage residents to participate in group programs such as Alcohol Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous
- They demand that residents comply with house rules, which provide a conducive environment for the recovery of residents and make them responsible
- They share costs such as rent and other expenses among residents
- They allow residents to stay for as long as one has the feeling that rehab is right for them.
Typical Rules in Sober Living Homes
To provide a conducive environment for you and other residents, and to give you a good chance of staying sober, halfway houses have these regulations.
There are fewer, less stringent regulations to be followed when staying at a sober living home. There are fewer regulations for starting life in halfway houses because they offer different services from one facility to another. Additionally, they provide unique drug rehab programs, and their residents check in willingly.
- Nightly curfew for inhabitants
- Zero drug tolerance policy
- Limits on the number of guests and period of their stay
- Employment requirements
- Expenses and duties contributions by inhabitants
- Attendance of mandatory sober home meetings
- No visitors that are high on drugs
- Submission of samples for occasional drug tests
- Attendance at the required number of counseling sessions or 12-Step gatherings
Is Sober Living Right for Me?
A halfway house can be ideal for you under the following circumstances.
Sober living may not be ideal in these situations.
- You have tried residential treatment unsuccessfully before, and you cannot stay away from drugs while at home
- You struggle to maintain a life of sobriety in society once you stay in a residential rehab center comes to an end
- It would be best if you had addiction rehab while continuing with aspects of your life, such as school or work
- You do not have support from your family and friends, which is often vital for sustaining sobriety in society
- Outpatient programs do not satisfy your drug detox treatment requirements
- You cannot afford the fees that halfway houses charge
- Your addiction requires a more intensive treatment plan
- You struggle to get along well with people, especially new faces, and you may violently resist their efforts to warm up to you or shut down
Why Choose a Sober Living House in Malibu
Choosing a facility to reside in during a sober living program can be challenging. There are many sober homes across Los Angeles, in California and beyond. Malibu is an excellent location for various reasons.
Riviera Recovery provides excellent facilities for sober living in Malibu. We believe in putting our residents’ needs first, and we commit to high-quality standards. Our sober living homes are spacious, luxurious, and comfortable. Many of our previous residents have transitioned into a drug-free life in society successfully.
We have Pacific Palisades House, which is coed and Barrington House, which is an all-male center. We developed our facilities with the help of our rehab licensing consultant, who advised us through how to start the transition towards sober living. Some of the services we offer are weekly social activities, mentor meetings, food management systems, and transportation to and from 12-step meetings.
- Rest and recreation – getting used to a life free from drugs can be demanding. However, Malibu offers numerous outdoor opportunities to replenish your energy and enjoy your new life. You can surf, swim, hike, bask in the sun, or meditate. The scenic surroundings will make these activities enjoyable and help you through periods of mental exhaustion.
- Convenient location – Malibu is in a strategic area, 40 miles away from L.A. and near L.A. International Airport. This locale provides excellent proximity to aspects that can be important during your sober living. You can get away to interact with people, find a job, or travel easily while in a halfway house in Malibu.
- Inspiring natural beauty – Malibu has lush canyons, warm beaches, and magnificent views of the Pacific Ocean. These sceneries can help you relax during your sober living, which is crucial for ensuring the program works.
Quitting drugs and living a sober life can be difficult. Sober living is a crucial program for recovering addicts that want to transition into a life free from drugs. Residents in sober homes follow some guidelines as they integrate into society and sobriety.
Halfway houses provide more freedom than residential facilities, and inhabitants can stay in them as long as their recovery needs it. However, it may not be ideal in specific circumstances. Sober living homes in Malibu are located conveniently near various locations, and they have beautiful scenery to help you through sober living. Reach out to Riviera Recovery today to learn how we can help you transition to sobriety.