6 Ways Quality Sober Living Strengthens Recovery From Addiction
With your 30, 60, or 90-day stint in drug and alcohol rehab now under your belt, the next step in your recovery journey will be a stay in a sober living community. Since the objective of addiction treatment is to achieve life-long sobriety, the decision to spend some restorative time in a sober residence is a wise one. Re-entering normal life before your new sober and healthy habits have become routine will likely set you up for a relapse. Therefore, sober living provides those new in recovery the opportunity for a safe transition back to regular life.
When considering where you want to spend a few months living in a sober environment why not make the best of it? You know the saying, “Location, location, location,” right? So why not enjoy the amazing benefits of a sober living community in Los Angeles—specifically, in the spectacular hills of Malibu, California? Enjoy the beautiful vistas that rim the Pacific Ocean as part and parcel of your recovery journey.
6 Ways a Quality Sober Living Helps Keep Recovery on Track
Yes, getting clean and sober is very hard. Even more challenging, however, is staying clean and sober. In early recovery, the brain hasn’t fully healed and old addiction reflexes and responses still threaten to undo all the hard work of getting sober. This is where a quality sober living community can make a real difference in solidifying your recovery.
- A drug and alcohol-free safety zone. This is huge. Although triggers come in all forms and variations, one universal trigger for potential relapse back into addiction is the very presence of drugs or alcohol. Reduce the risk of this potential landmine and live in a drug and alcohol-free environment for a while.
- Replace bad habits with new, healthy ones. Most addicts and alcoholics acquire increasingly destructive and unproductive habits along the way. Intrinsic to a full recovery is the healing of the mind, body and spirit following a long period of self-abuse. Taking up a new sport, daily exercise, and new hobbies enhances recovery by replacing poor former habits with invigorating new ones.
- Become part of a supportive community. Many in recovery have left damaged relationships in their wakes and need to develop some new friendships. Living in a quality sober living community provides a built-in support system, with both other recovering residents as well as the support staff offering encouragement and friendship.
- The benefits of a pet-friendly environment. Much research confirms the many health benefits of pet ownership, and to the alcoholic or addict in recovery the benefits are many. Having your dog present makes you feel less alone in an unfamiliar environment, as well as enhances feelings of self-worth, accountability, and reduced anxiety. This can help prolong the stay in sober living, reinforcing recovery before re-entering the real world.
- Holistic therapies enhance recovery. Without getting to the core issues beneath the addiction and learning new coping techniques, recovery will be short-lived. Mindfulness training, yoga, meditation, massage, acupuncture, and ongoing psychological therapy all help with self-discovery, living in the moment, and assisting with stress reduction.
- Learning how to enjoy the sober lifestyle. A common hurdle for the newly recovered is viewing life without their substance as empty and boring. A sober community learns the joy and fulfillment of experiencing cultural events, sports events, and outdoor activities without drugs and alcohol.
Riviera Recovery a Quality Sober Living Community in Los Angeles
Riviera Recovery is a high quality, pet-friendly sober living community in Malibu, California that provides an exceptional environment to foster healing and recovery. By offering a wide array of life-enhancing activities and therapies, its residents are afforded a unique opportunity for embracing a new, healthy lifestyle. Riviera Recovery provides top-notch amenities and services in addition to trips and local activities that allow this sober living community in Los Angeles to experience the renewed spirit that they deserve. For more information about our program, please call us today at (866) 478-8799.