Halfway Houses & Sober Living Homes
In general, halfway houses and sober living homes are essentially the same. But, halfway houses are more associated with government-funded facilities, while sober living homes are usually privately owned.
This page breaks down the difference between halfway houses and sober living homes and what Riviera Recovery offers.
Halfway Houses Vs. Sober Living Homes
Sober living homes and halfway houses are both types of transitional housing for individuals who are in addiction treatment or mental health treatment, but there are some differences between the two.
Sober Living – Sober living homes are typically voluntary and independent living arrangements for individuals who have completed an intensive inpatient treatment program and are looking to slowly reintegrate into daily life. Sober living homes typically offer more privacy and professional support than halfway houses.
Halfway Houses – Halfway houses are often more structured and may be part of the criminal justice system. They provide temporary housing for individuals transitioning from a correctional facility back into society or under court-ordered supervision.
Los Angeles is a good place to get and stay sober for several reasons, including:
- Strong recovery community: Los Angeles has a large and active recovery community with many resources available to individuals seeking addiction recovery. There are numerous support groups, treatment facilities, and sober living homes throughout the city.
- Access to treatment: Los Angeles is home to many reputable addiction treatment centers that offer a variety of evidence-based treatments, including individual and group therapy, medication-assisted treatment, and holistic therapies.
- Diverse activities: Los Angeles offers a wide range of activities that can support addiction recovery, including outdoor activities such as hiking and surfing, cultural activities such as museums and art galleries, and fitness activities such as yoga and fitness classes.
- Positive environment: Los Angeles’s positive and optimistic culture promotes well-being and recovery. LA is known for its sunny weather, beaches, and diverse communities, which can contribute to a sense of hope and optimism for individuals in recovery.
- Career opportunities: Los Angeles is a hub for many industries, including entertainment, technology, and healthcare. This can provide individuals in recovery with a range of career opportunities that can help them establish a fulfilling and meaningful life in sobriety.
There are several government resources, including halfway houses, available in Los Angeles for individuals seeking addiction recovery. Some of these resources include:
- Los Angeles County Department of Public Health: The department provides a range of substance abuse services, including prevention, treatment, and recovery support. They also offer referrals to community-based resources, such as halfway houses.
- California Department of Health Care Services: The department provides substance use disorder treatment services to eligible Medi-Cal beneficiaries. They also offer information and referrals to treatment and recovery support services, including halfway houses.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA): SAMHSA is a federal agency that provides information and resources on substance abuse and mental health, including a treatment locator tool to help individuals find treatment and recovery support services in their area.
- The Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority: The authority provides services to individuals experiencing homelessness, including those with substance use disorders. They offer a range of housing options, including transitional housing and supportive housing, which can include access to treatment and recovery support services.
Sober Living Houses
Purpose – The purpose of sober living homes and halfway houses is generally the same; to provide a safe and supportive environment where individuals can work through addiction and mental health treatment.
Resources – Sober living homes help residents learn basic life skills, such as managing money, cooking, effective communication, relapse prevention, and healthy coping mechanisms.
Goals – Sober living homes offer residents a less triggering environment to apply skills learned in treatment and provide more privacy than halfway houses. Social support is a key element, and residents will live with peers who share similar experiences to create an environment of mutual accountability and compassion.
Rules – Sober living homes, like halfway houses, enforce strict abstinence policies through drug testing. Residents are usually tasked with completing household chores and participating in house meetings.
Benefits Of Sober Living
Transitional Housing – Individuals who leave intensive recovery programs can feel overwhelmed when they reenter society, unable to manage the stress and triggers of daily life problems. Sober living facilities give individuals a chance to transition from regular mental health and behavioral care to more personal responsibility.
Mental Health Treatment – Sober living can benefit mental health by providing a stable and safe environment, fostering community support, lowering anxiety, and decreasing stress and overwhelming feelings.
Substance Abuse Treatment – Sober living homes provide a drug and alcohol-free living environment where individuals can focus on rebuilding interpersonal life skills without distractions.
At our Barrington home, male residents with substance use disorders and dual diagnoses can explore new hobbies, learn life skills, and become part of a thriving recovery community. With structured and safe living, individuals can engage in sober activities like yoga and meditation while receiving staff assistance in building resumes or applying to schools. We support each resident’s personal development and offer multiple modalities to help them choose their own path.
At our McLaughlin House, female clients can find a balance between bustling city life and a tranquil setting to heal from mental health issues. Our structured environment encourages accountability, growth, and guidance while promoting interpersonal relationships and practical skill-building. We prioritize mental health support and provide a safe space for clients to heal from trauma, anxiety, mood disorders, and other concerns.
If you or a loved one could benefit from transitional living or a sober living program, contact Riviera Recovery in Los Angeles. We understand the difficulties of living with untreated mental health, substance use disorders, and other outside stressors. We also know that you don’t have to stay in the same place, both physically and figuratively. If you’re ready to seek help, reach out to us now to learn more about our sober living options, and we’ll provide you with all the information you need.
"*" indicates required fields