Barrington House is located in West Los Angeles. This gender-specific home welcomes male-identifying clients. Additionally, it is located near shops, parks, and employers. Men learn to give and receive support in a safe environment. Then, they take what they learn back home with them.
McLaughlin House is located in a tranquil area on the outskirts of Los Angeles. Additionally, this gender-specific home welcomes female-identifying clients. Women, in fact, feel safe living with each other. What’s more, they take what they learn back to their lives at home.
Addiction is a disease that requires more than 1 level of treatment. Moreover, a person may not feel fully prepared to return home after completing initial treatment. Because of this, they can, in fact, benefit from Los Angeles sober living. Fortunately, sober living homes provide a place for people in recovery to live together. Last, but not least, these homes are 100% drug and alcohol-free.
Unfortunately, some people do not have a safe place to go after initial treatment ends. As a result, sober living homes are a viable option. On the other hand, others use sober living to strengthen their recovery and prevent future chances of relapse as well. Fortunately, in turn, sober living homes may, in fact, increase the length of time people stay in recovery.
In fact, sober living homes provide structure without being as limiting as inpatient treatment. First, residents can come and go, which provides a sense of freedom. Second, they benefit from living with others focused on staying sober. Third, sober living homes usually offer access to outpatient addiction treatment as well.
What to Expect at a Los Angeles Sober Living
Los Angeles sober living offers a combination of things. Benefits include the freedom of living in a home environment and living in a non-toxic environment for instance. All residents have the same goal. Because of this, they, in turn, can enjoy their independence and sobriety. Last, but not least, some rules are in place to keep all residents safe and on track.
- No therapists, counselors, or other addiction specialists live in the sober living homes. Formal, off-site outpatient treatment services are available.
- All residents should be and stay sober.
- Residents should be prepared to pay for rent and groceries.
- Individuals are expected to complete some household chores.
- Weekly mentor meetings.
- Visitors may have to be cleared with the facility or roommates first.
- Residents of a sober living home will have a curfew.
- Urinalysis and BAC monitoring.
We offer a variety of services to all residents. As a result, they additionally feel more at home. For example, some of our luxury amenities include:
- Pet-friendly homes
- Gender-specific housing
- Outdoor pool (McLaughlin House)
- Laundry facilities
- Computer and internet access
- Fully-accessible kitchen
- High-quality bedding
- Comfortable mattresses
- Game tables such as ping-pong (Barrington House)
- Transportation services
- Modern fixtures
- Experiential activities (yoga, meditation)
- Cozy common spaces
- Weekly social activities
Fortunately, each of our houses is near local support groups. This makes it easy to have regular support. Along with this, employment opportunities and local colleges are nearby. Thus, people can, in turn, ease their way back into work and school.
Many benefits come from enjoying Los Angeles sober living. Some of the benefits include:
- Safe environment— Many people who are new to recovery do not have a home or safe place to go when their treatment is over. Because of this, sober living can be lifesaving. Fortunately, they can avoid toxic home lives and relationships.
- Constant support— When in a sober living home, people don’t feel alone. Instead, they live with others who share the same goal of staying sober. As a result, roommates become a source of support. As a matter of fact, many friendships formed in sober living last a lifetime as well.
- Sense of independence— Residents can gain a strong sense of independence as they establish their own schedules. Moreover, they learn to balance recreational time, therapy, career, and more. Lastly, they can grocery shop, work out, as well as enjoy social events.
- Continued treatment— Going to outpatient treatment additionally helps build on lessons learned in previous treatment.
- Reducing the risk of relapse— Studies show a link between the length of time in treatment and how long someone stays sober.
Sober Living vs. Halfway Houses
First and foremost, people often confuse sober living homes and halfway houses. They are indeed similar in some ways but also have definite differences. First of all, treatment facilities or recovery programs typically run sober living homes.
On the contrary, halfway houses are usually government-run and funded. Therefore, for this reason, many people in halfway houses have just finished serving jail time or probation. Finally, sober living homes are more likely to have residents who are coming out of a treatment program.
To continue, sober living homes have more of a structure than halfway houses. This includes house rules and curfews. Many halfway houses have no real rules. Third, halfway houses can easily get crowded. In contrast, sober living homes provide residents with ample space.
Last, many halfway houses offer no therapy or other types of support. Despite this, Los Angeles sober living homes provide access to many types of therapy. They focus on helping residents get sober and stay that way.
People new to recovery often feel vulnerable and unsure. Consequently, gender-specific sober living homes can be the right place for them. Our Los Angeles sober living homes provide residences that feel non-threatening and welcoming. Many people prefer not to share bathrooms with a different gender. Additionally, they may not be comfortable living with them in general.
Many women in recovery from addiction have had traumatic experiences at the hands of men. For example, this includes sexual assault, physical violence, and emotional abuse. While the men living in the sober home may pose no threat to the women, women who are working through their male-related trauma may still feel uncomfortable. Consequently, they may be at a higher risk of relapsing if they don’t feel secure.
Additionally, gender-specific sober living homes help to prevent distraction by members of both sexes. Those who are self-identified straight can lose their focus around members of the opposite sex. Plus, it is recommended that those in recovery avoid new romantic and sexual relationships for the first year of their sobriety.
Riviera Recovery offers gender-specific sober living houses. Our Los Angeles sober living homes help you transition out of formal treatment. They are the perfect place to get used to your newfound sobriety. As a result, you keep your recovery on track.
We offer luxurious amenities and convenient services to our residents. In addition, we treat both addiction and mental health issues. To learn more, visit our admissions page today.